DON® Smallgoods was born in Victoria back in 1947 when North Essendon butcher R.J. Gilbertson began producing a small range of processed European-style meats in his store at 15, Keilor Road. Searching for a name for his new products, he settled on the last three letters of his suburb and shortly thereafter, “DON® Smallgoods” began appearing on local shelves.
Gilbertson set very high standards for his products, employing European master craftsmen, DON® Fleischmeisters, who brought from their homelands the traditional methods of curing and preserving meat. In the 1970’s Altona Factory plant was opened to keep up with demand. In 1999 George Weston Foods buys Don smallgoods.