DON® Prosciutto and chorizo paella
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Ready in: 35-40 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 12 mussels
- 300g green prawns
- 200g sliced DON® Prosciutto roughly chopped into small pieces
- 300g cubed DON® Chorizo
- 1 onion, finely chopped (Spanish onion optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
The Spanish are renowned for their passion, their picadors and of course their peerless paella. If seafood and savoury tastes are your specialty, impress your friends with this perfect winter indulgence.
- Scrub the mussel shells and remove the beards. Place into a large pan with ½ cup water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. Discard any mussels which do not open in this time. Peel and devein the prawns, leaving the tails intact.
- Spray a large nonstick frying pan with oil and heat. Add the prawns, DON® Prosciutto and DON® Chorizo and cook over high heat for about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic, cayenne, capsicum and rice, and cook, stirring constantly, for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir through the tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring paella to the boil then reduce the heat to very low and cover tightly. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is just tender and the stock is almost all absorbed.
- Add the peas, prawn, chorizo and prosciutto mix and mussels to the rice, and very gently stir through. Cover and cook for a further 3 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.