DON® pea & ham soup
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Ready in: 65 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, finely chopped
- 450g DON® Melosi Ham, finely diced
- 500g green dried split peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 litre water
- 1 litre stock (reduced salt)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1-2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, extra, and cracked black pepper for serving
If there’s a heartier winter soup, we’d like to hear about it. Serve it up with crusty white bread spread generously with real butter and your family will love you forever.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, celery, carrot and parsnip. Cook over low heat until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add 400g DON® ham, split peas, bay leaves, water, stock, parsley and thyme leaves.
- Simmer the soup covered for an hour, until thickened, and peas are tender.
- Remove the lid and puree the soup.
- Serve topped with remaining ham, extra parsley and cracked black pepper.