Eggs Benedict with DON® Ham off-the-bone and asparagus.
- Serves: 4
- 4 free-range eggs
- Pinch salt
- 8 slices DON® Ham off-the-bone
- 4 Tip Top English muffins
- 50g butter
- 1 bunch of crisp asparagus with about 1cm cut off the bottom of each stalk
- Easy hollandaise sauce:
200g unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tbs hot water
- Ground black pepper, to taste
A classic breakfast dish deserves the finest ingredients, and DON® Ham off-the-bone is the perfect complement to soft poached eggs, crunchy asparagus and the decadent delights of hollandaise sauce.
- Preheat grill on high and line a baking tray with foil.
- To make the easy hollandaise sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Use a metal spoon to skim any foam from the surface. Pour the clear yellow butter into a heatproof jug. Discard milky residue. Place egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and half the hot water in a blender. Blend on high until mixture is pale and thickens slightly. With the motor running, add hot butter in a thin, steady stream. Add remaining water to thin the sauce slightly. Season with pepper, and extra lemon juice and salt, if necessary. Half fill a large bowl with warm water (if water is too hot, the sauce will curdle). Pour sauce into a small bowl and place in the large bowl.
- Place the slices of Ham off-the-bone on the lined tray. Cook under preheated grill for 2-4 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In a simmering pot of water, add a splash of vinegar, crack the eggs gently into the pot, and use a slotted spoon to stir so the eggs poach evenly. Once poached, place on absorbent paper towel.
- Place the halved muffins on the lined tray and cook under preheated grill, turning once, until toasted. Spread with the butter, if desired. Turn the grill off and cover the bread with foil to keep warm.
- Place the trimmed asparagus side by side on a plate and loosely cover with cling film. Microwave (1000w) for one minute.
- Place toasted muffins on serving plates and roughly top them with the ham and asparagus and place the egg on top. Stir hollandaise sauce and drizzle over the eggs. Season with cracked Black pepper and serve.